Protecting Your Home From Fire

This entry was posted in Fire Safety on by .

Fact or Myth: Cellulose insulation is fire-resistant

When we talk to homeowners about the benefits of cellulose insulation, we’re sometimes asked if its flammable because it is made of newspaper. You’ll be happy to know that cellulose is not only non-combustible, but also highly effective at blocking the spread of fire due to fire retardant capabilities that foam and fiberglass insulation do not have.

As we pointed out in our August newsletter on humidity, cellulose doesn’t allow the movement of air, particularly when it is dense-packed, preventing any flame from being stoked or moving. BUT, more importantly, cellulose is treated with borate (boric acid), which is a flame-retardant.

The fact is that cellulose won’t burn and will serve as a barrier to fire, providing yet another benefit ¾ home safety and another layer of serenity. That’s the Dolphin Difference.

To see how well cellulose handles fire and prevents it from spreading compared to spray foam and fiberglass, check out this video testing the various insulation products against flame:

Cool Fact:

Borate is a natural salt that helps deter insects. It is also antifungal, so it will prevent mold growth.

Hot Tip:

If you have old insulation in your home, it should be removed. Insulation installed decades ago will have collected insects, rodent droppings and mold as it ages, creating toxicity in your home as well as hindering air flow. Replacing your old insulation with new will improve your home’s energy efficiency and overall air quality.